POINT OF VIEW: THE DEVELOPMENT OF TOURISM IN THE PAST - Summary
Thanks to the Treaty of Campoformio concluded in 1797, Austria took power of the former Venetian territories in Istria. Austrian interest in Istria suddenly increased at the mid-19th century, when it was decided to build a harbour for warships in Pula. Formerly a small township, the burst in construction and various activities that developed there transformed Pula into the largest town on the peninsula. The building of the extension to the Southern Railway as far as Pula was particularly important, not only for the navy harbour. It also allowed for the development of tourism, especially in Opatija but also in Portoroz, Piran and the Brioni islands, with a marked growth in health tourism. Eminent guests from all over Europe came to enjoy the mild Istrian climate, take the various health cures, and be entertained by a range of events and excursions to Ucka Mountain.